Superintendent's Newsletter, January 7th, 2019
To: Zeke Martinez, Wayne van Zwoll, Tracy Zahn, Maggie Ochoa, Matt West
From: Scott Sattler
CC: Debby Sharp, Tami Jackson, Diane Hull, Randy Hurley, Jesse Macy, Shawna Weiding
Hanna Coffman, all staff.
Re: Supt. Report
Strategic Plan Improvement Goals
- Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged.
- Ensure rigorous and relevant learning opportunities.
- Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions.
- Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community.
- Ensure district resources support the strategic plan.
District items of interest:
- The next regularly scheduled school board meeting is January 28th, 2019 6:00 pm, Superintendent’s Office.
- District enrollment: 832.
- Currently the district is having a financial audit. Auditors will be in district through Wednesday.
Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged:
The Family Leadership Institute will have its monthly training tonight, Monday 1/7/19. The topic is Module #4: Storytelling and Journaling: The value a family places on literacy in the enjoyment of reading has a profound effect on the ability of children to acquire the reading skills essential to success. Guest speaker Tamra Jackson will share her experience and wisdom on the topic.
A team of educators from our Middle School will travel to Republic and Wellpinit School Districts this month to learn how they have successfully implemented Summit Learning in their districts.
Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions:
- Please welcome Pricilla Williams as our new MS Special Education Teacher.
- Career Fairs will begin in February. If you plan to retire or move on to another district in the upcoming school year, please let your principal know as soon as possible.
- Dr. Gene Sharratt will be in district Jan. 17th to provide School Board Training.
Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community:
Bridgeport School District will host the annual Excellence Awards Banquet this year in the spring (date to be determined). This banquet highlights the employee’s of the year for both the classified and certified staff for each of the school districts in our region. In the past it has been held in Okanogan, Tonasket, and Methow School districts. Our FFA has offered to cater the event highlighting our students.
Ensure district resources support the strategic plan
Construction: The Middle School is currently being demolished from the inside out. The abatement is done and much of the interior has been stripped out. We should see the building come down this week if everything goes as planned.
Adam Corum applied and will receive this grant ($27,000) to help implement the Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE). The Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Curriculum from CASE needs a lot of equipment and technology to fully implement and this grant goes a long ways in order to fully implement the curriculum.
Tuesday, January 8th: Staff Meeting @ 7:30AM in HS library
Saturday, January 12th: Super Saturday 9:00-12:00 noon
Wednesday, January 16th: 1st, 3rd, 5th & 7th Periods Semester Finals
Thursday, January 17th: 2nd, 4th, 6th & 7th Periods Semester Finals
Friday, January 18th: Early Release for Grades – End of 1st Semester
Sunday, January 20th: Grades are DUE!
Monday, January 21st: NO SCHOOL – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
January 22-25th: HS NWEA Testing in HS Library
Jan. 9th 4:30pm
Basketball at Soap Lake
Jan. 11th 4:30pm
Basketball at Lake Roosevelt
Jan. 15th 3:30pm
Basketball vs Manson GJV
Jan. 18th 4:30pm
Basketball at Tonasket