Superintendent's Newsletter, October 11 2017
To: Zeke Martinez, Wayne van Zwoll, Janie Jenkins, Tracy Zahn, Maggie Ochoa
From: Scott Sattler
CC: Debby Sharp, Tami Jackson, Diane Hull, Randy Hurley, Jesse Macy, Shawna Weiding
Hanna Coffman, all staff.
Re: Supt. Report
Strategic Plan Improvement Goals
- Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged.
- Ensure rigorous and relevant learning opportunities.
- Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions.
- Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community.
- Ensure district resources support the strategic plan.
District items of interest:
The next regularly scheduled school board meeting is October 30, 2017 6:00 pm, Superintendent’s Office.
Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged:
- October 18th is our next early release for professional development. The training for all staff is ACES training and Suicide Prevention.
- Middle School Homecoming Week is scheduled for Oct. 16-20. The Dress up Days are as follows: Monday-Mathlete vs Athlete (dress as an athlete or nerd), Tuesday-Hawaiian Day (appropriate attire for school), Wednesday-Workout Wednesday, Thursday-Costume Day, Friday-Spirit Day (Black and Orange).
Ensure rigorous and relevant learning opportunities:
- The MS is in the process of applying for an Intensified Algebra grant to help increase student success in that area.
- White Hatter Assembly: Helps students to pro-actively understand the enabling power of digital technology and mobile communications but also how to mitigate the sometimes unintended consequences of high risk/un-desirable on line behavior. This assembly has been scheduled for Oct 31st for the MS and HS students.
- Rachel’s Challenge has been scheduled for November 15th for MS and HS. This will have a parent/community component as well.
Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions:
- Please welcome Trevor Jenkins as our MS custodian. Trevor will also help with the After’s meal program.
- We are currently looking for Assistant High School Boys Basketball coach.
Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community:
- The Community Carnival is set for October 28th. HS students are organizing and running the event.
- The elementary school is organizing a Trunk or Treat event for October 31st ….Halloween!
- Parent Conferences are set for November 2nd and 3rd. November 2nd the conference hours will be 12:00-7:45 and November 3rd the conference hours will be 10:00-5:45. The hours are staggered this way to accommodate parents that need to be able to come in after their work hours.
- November 2nd in the elementary multi-purpose room there will be a resource fair. It is a fair for parents to learn about the available resources in the area.
- The Veteran’s Day Assembly is scheduled for November 9th at 9:00 am. This is a district-wide assembly put on by our HS student leadership to honor our local Veterans.
Ensure district resources support the strategic plan:
The “After’s” Supper program has started. First day numbers indicate 55 are participating in an after school meal.
Friday 10/13 Mustangs vs Oroville Hornets Homecoming Football game
Saturday 10/14 Homecoming Dance
Wednesday 10/18 Early Release for PD “ACES & Suicide” ALL DISTRICT
Thursday 10/19 Great Washington Shake Out
Saturday 10/28 Carnival
Tuesday 10/31 White Hatter Assembly (7-12 grades) in HS Gym
Trunk or Treat
Thurs/Fri 11/2-3 Student-led Conferences
Thursday 11/2 Resource Fair - Elementary
Thursday 11/9 Veteran’s Day Assembly K-12 at 9:00AM in HS gym
Friday 11/10 NO SCHOOL Veteran’s Day Observed
Wednesday 11/15 Rachel’s Challenge
Oct. 11th 5:00pm
Volleyball Vs. Liberty Bell
Oct. 12th 5:00pm
Volleyball Vs. Soap Lake
Oct. 12th 4:30pm
Soccer @ Tonasket
Oct. 12th 5:00pm
Volleyball @ Okanogan
Oct. 12th 6:30pm
Football @ Oroville
Oct. 13th 7:00pm
Football Vs. Oroville