Superintendent's Newsletter, March 5th 2018
To: Zeke Martinez, Wayne van Zwoll, Janie Jenkins, Tracy Zahn, Maggie Ochoa
From: Scott Sattler
CC: Debby Sharp, Tami Jackson, Diane Hull, Randy Hurley, Jesse Macy, Shawna Weiding
Hanna Coffman, all staff.
Re: Supt. Report
Strategic Plan Improvement Goals
- Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged.
- Ensure rigorous and relevant learning opportunities.
- Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions.
- Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community.
- Ensure district resources support the strategic plan.
District items of interest:
- The next regularly scheduled school board meeting is March 26, 2018, 6:00 p.m. Superintendent’s Office.
- TOTAL Average Enrollment 854 (not counting pre-school in these totals)
- Last week’s benefit dinner/auction for Pat and Tara was highly successful. Dan Cavadini reported that between the dinner and auction over $6000.00 was raised. The event was fun, the food was really good, and it was just a great night out with community.
Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged:
Douglas County Sherriff’s office has named Sam Tonseth as our School Resource Officer. He will be in our district full time and will be on campus starting the 2018-19 school year.
Ensure rigorous and relevant learning opportunities:
AdvanceEd Accreditation Site Visit March 8th & 9th all day at the high school.
Twenty-five 11th & 12th graders will be taking the SAT on April 24th here at Bridgeport HS.
High School Spring Sports is underway (here are the numbers)
Track & Field-46
Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions.
Upcoming career fairs include Spokane, Tacoma, Whitworth, Gonzaga, and Portland. The district will begin to recruit for positions as soon as possible in order to fill vacant positions. If you plan to retire or are moving on to another district, please let your principal know as soon as possible.
HS Social Studies/AVID George Oswald transfer
MS ELA Janet Ward transfer
MS Math Michael Sheldon transfer
Elementary Ed: 5 positions
HS Computer lab
Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community:
A partnership between the school district and Family Health Centers has found a nurse to be stationed for a few hours a day at Bridgeport School District. Susan Sloan will be on campus daily to address nursing concerns and issues.
Donkey Basketball at Bridgeport HS April 18th @ 6:00P.M. The classes will compete in a small tournament (10 minute games). This will be an ASB fundraiser
Ensure district resources support the strategic plan:
We will begin the process of moving out of the Middle School in preparation for this summer. We will not move classrooms or disrupt student learning until school is out in June. However, we will begin to move items from storage spaces (under the stage, storage closets, boiler room items, etc.).
Douglas County Sherriff’s office has requested permission to use the Middle School (once we are vacated and before construction) as a training site for Active School Shooter training.
03/26/18 Monday 6 p.m. School Board Meeting