Superintendent's Newsletter, January 19th 2018
To: Zeke Martinez, Wayne van Zwoll, Janie Jenkins, Tracy Zahn, Maggie Ochoa
From: Scott Sattler
CC: Debby Sharp, Tami Jackson, Diane Hull, Randy Hurley, Jesse Macy, Shawna Weiding
Hanna Coffman, all staff.
Re: Supt. Report
Strategic Plan Improvement Goals
- Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged.
- Ensure rigorous and relevant learning opportunities.
- Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions.
- Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community.
- Ensure district resources support the strategic plan.
District items of interest:
- The next regularly scheduled school board meeting is January 29, 2018 6:00 pm, Superintendent’s Office.
- Average Enrollment: 856
- Allied Plumbing is working on the water line in front of the elementary school. Due to the ditch being opened in the parking lot we have closed it for limited parking. Parents and visitors are being asked to park along the street and in the high school lot. It appears to be much safer for students after school without all the cars driving through. We may consider keeping it closed on a modified basis long term.
- A team of engineers have been in district this week looking and studying the issues around the Middle School. Their study is called value engineering and they recommend the type of construction to be used to give us the best value. Their report is part of the overall construction plan.
Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged:
The district has reached out to Douglas County Sherriff’s office to place a School Resource Officer in our district full time. The School Resource officer will be on campus starting with the 2018-19 school year.
Ensure rigorous and relevant learning opportunities:
Today is the end of the first semester. There is an early release for grade preparation.
Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions.
Upcoming career fairs include Spokane, Tacoma, Whitworth, Gonzaga, and Portland. The district will begin to recruit for positions as soon as possible in order to fill vacant positions. If you plan to retire or are moving on to another district, please let your principal know as soon as possible.
Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community:
A partnership between the school district and Family Health Centers has found a nurse to be stationed for a few hours a day at Bridgeport School District. Susan Sloan will be on campus from 11-1 daily to address nursing concerns and issues.
Ensure district resources support the strategic plan:
- The Capital Budget has passed! School Construction is scheduled for summer of 2018. Once construction begins the entire project will be completed in one year allowing us to occupy the new space in the fall of 2019. Plans are underway to secure learning space from EPIC for next year. Once that agreement is in place we will share the plan and locations of classrooms.
- The annual financial Audit is wrapping up this week.
01/19/18 Friday 12 pm Early Release end of quarter
01/29/18 Monday 6 pm School Board Meeting
1/20 Saturday HS Basketball @ Cascade
1/22 Monday MS Girls Basketball vs. Tonasket
1/23 Tuesday HS Basketball @ Waterville
1/24 Wednesday MS Girls Basketball @ Okanogan
1/25 Thursday HS Boys JV @ Pateros
1/27 Saturday HS Basketball vs. LR
1/30 Tuesday HS Basketball @ Brewster
MS Girls Basketball vs. LR