Superintendent's Newsletter, September 8th 2017
To: Zeke Martinez, Wayne van Zwoll, Janie Jenkins, Tracy Zahn, Maggie Ochoa
From: Scott Sattler
CC: Debby Sharp, Tami Jackson, Diane Hull, Randy Hurley, Jesse Macy, Shawna Weiding
Hanna Coffman, all staff.
Re: Supt. Report
Strategic Plan Improvement Goals
- Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged.
- Ensure rigorous and relevant learning opportunities.
- Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions.
- Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community.
- Ensure district resources support the strategic plan.
District items of interest:
- The next regularly scheduled school board meeting is September 25, 2017 6:00 pm, Superintendent’s Office.
- Enrollment: 866
- The State Board Executive Director, Ben Rarick, and several Board members will visit Bridgeport High School on Monday, September 11th from 1:00-3:00 p.m. Bridgeport continues to be a leader in student success around College in the High School and Advanced Placement.
- Parson’s Photography will be in district on Sept 22nd . All staff will have their picture taken for I.D. Board members are welcome to come for I.D. pictures as well.
Ensure a school culture where every student is respected, safe, academically challenged and engaged:
- Due to the poor air quality sports teams and recess activity has been limited to indoor. Sporting events are on a day by day basis and will be called off if the air quality readings are over 150. Today the Football game in Tonasket may be postponed but the decision will be made at 2:00.
- September 20th is our first early release for professional development. All staff will take part in Active School Shooter training hosted by the Douglas County Sherriff’s office.
Ensure rigorous and relevant learning opportunities:
- The school board has approved the 4-year-old preschool program. We will open another classroom and accept all 4 yr. old childrenwith a birth date prior to August 31. Currently we have 37 students on the list ready to start on September 18th.
- The Pre-School Parent meeting is Thursday, September 14th at 5:30 pm. A press release was issued promoting our intent to host pre-school to all 4-year-olds. Suzanne Morales was selected to be the lead para teaching the class along with Luana Gavin. Additional curriculum and classroom setup has been underway.
Ensure high quality and effective personnel in all positions:
- We continue to look for a school nurse, special programs secretary and para-educators.
- Architect’s West will be in district on Sept. 20th and 21st to conduct staff interviews at the elementary and high school to give staff the opportunity to share their ideas on the new construction currently scheduled for late next summer. A floating substitute has been scheduled to cover classes throughout the day to allow time to meet with them. A more detailed plan will be shared as we get closer to those dates.
Ensure strong partnerships with students, families, and community:
- Our first All School All Programs parent meeting (ASAP) will be held in the elementary gym on Sept. 13th, 6:00 pm. This meeting is for all programs (Title I, Migrant, Highly Capable, LAP, Bilingual, Homeless, Immigrant, and distribution).
- This past Friday Sports Boosters donated $200 and the High School Staff donated $250 for Subway sandwiches in order to feed the Chewelah Football team. Thank you to all that donated, I am sure they appreciated the hospitality.
- To help with communications regarding school updates and information we now have an App for that. You can download the SchoolWay app for Bridgeport School District. Contact the district office if you need directions.
Monday 9/11 State Board of Education visit 1:00pm
Wednesday 9/13 All School All Programs meeting 6:00 pm
Thursday 9/14 Pre-School Parent meeting 5:30 pm
Wednesday 9/20 Early Release Professional Dev. 12:00
Friday 9/22 Picture Day all day
Monday 9/25 School Board Meeting 6:00 pm